When traveling, we can, by making proven choices, travel and vacation more sustainably. In this way, we can take social responsibility for the environment and local economic growth. It is about taking care of nature, having respect for other people and their culture and about behaving, as a good guest should, in the country you are visiting. By experiencing other cultures and meeting other people, we gain a better understanding of the world we live in.
Making conscious choices does not have to be at the expense of the overall vacation experience. On the contrary, it can give the holiday a new dimension. If you travel on holiday with children, you may also find that the younger generation is easily engaged.
Here are some tips on how to help minimize the climate footprint when traveling. If you have more good GREEN TRAVEL TIPS, send us a mail and let us know!
- Travel seldom – Stay longer
- Shop locally
- Minimise use of AC
- Avoid destinations that suffer from mass tourism. Find alternatives.
- Do not throw away food. Take the rest of your food from the restaurant for a snack.
- Bring shopping or tote bags
- Pack light
- Choose green transport
- Choose an airline that focuses on sustainability
- Stay at an agriturismo
- Is bus or train an option?
- Shower quickly- Save water
- Use the same towel more than one day.
- Take care of the nature you visit
- Sort garbage as per guidelines stated
- Turn out the light
- At buffets, don’t help yourself to more than you can eat.
Would you like to read more about sustainable tourism? See this article: Roadmap to more sustainable tourism